Updated as of 3/2021
WHYBL is excited to bring spring baseball back to the West Hartford community, with some health and safety guidelines required by state and local health officials to help us keep our players, coaches, umpires and spectators safe throughout the season. Please read the following rules for participation that will apply for the 2021 Spring Baseball season. We appreciate your help and partnership in adhering to these rules and protocols. These guidelines are subject to change, as we continue work with officials through our spring season. Draft as of 4/2/2021.
1. Hand sanitizer/wipes will be available at the fields.
2. Everyone must wear a mask entering the ballfield/athletic complex.
3. On-field pre-game warm-ups are limited to no more than 45 minutes.
4. Each team will use their own set of game balls while on defense and keep them throughout the game.
5. Parents/guardians are required to monitor their player for the symptoms below prior to each practice, game, or other team event. Coaches, staff, umpires and volunteers must self-monitor. Anyone who is sick, or exhibiting any of the following symptoms, is required to stay home: chills, cough, fatigue, nasal congestion/runny nose, muscle aches, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, fever (temperature of 100°F or higher), shortness of breath, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting.
6. Any coach or player in quarantine for any reason cannot participate in any games or practices until the quarantine is over.
7. Anyone missing practice or a game due to COVID-19-related illness or symptoms please email
with symptoms and onset date.
8. Any player, family member, umpire, coach or league official who tests positive for COVID- 19 is required to immediately notify WHYBL Safety Officer Liz Davidson (860.982.8647) and follow state testing and tracing protocols.
Guidelines for Players
1. Social distancing on the bench/dugout/sidelines must be adhered to, per DPH guidelines. Dugouts will be open, but no more than 4 players and/or coaches will be allowed in them at one time. Players should spread out (bring your own chair) at least 6' apart down the sidelines for practices and games.
2. For Major and Minor Leagues: Players must wear masks in the dugout and on the sidelines, but are not required (optional) to wear masks while actively participating in a game. Exception: Catchers will be required to wear a mask on the field of play, to start the season. This will be reevaluated throughout the season.
3. For Instructional and Training League: Players must wear masks at all times.
4. There will be no sharing of equipment by players. Players shall handle their equipment only and keep it stored on the sidelines near their chair/bag. The following is a list of equipment and supplies required for each practice and game:
- Batting helmet
- Baseball bat (labeled USABat)
- Baseball glove
- Baseball cap labeled with name of player
- Water bottle labeled with name of player
- Recommended: Chair (not all players will fit in dugouts as players socially distance)
5. Please arrive at the time given to you by the team’s Manager for all scheduled games and practices. Do not arrive early.
6. No handshakes, high-fives or fist bumps between players, coaches and/or umpires. A cap tip or other fun, non-contact acknowledgment will be used to display teammate support and/or good sportsmanship after each game.
7. No food, seeds, gum or spitting.
8. When social distancing is not possible during dead ball situations, players must wear masks, this includes meetings at the mound.
Guidelines for Coaches
1. All coaches must wear masks on and off the field.
2. All coaches and volunteers must self-monitor for symptoms as described above.
3. Pregame plate meetings, if necessary, will be limited to one manager or coach from each team and the umpire. All participants will maintain social distancing.
4. Player and coach attendance will be taken (and maintained) by managers at all games and practices.
5. Coaches in quarantine for any reason cannot participate in any games or practices until the quarantine is over.
Guidelines for Umpires
1. There will only be one umpire per game (no umpires in Instructional and Training divsions).
2. The umpire will call the game from behind the mound, wear a face mask and follow social distancing guidelines.
3. All umpires must self-monitor for symptoms as described above.
Guidelines for Spectators
WHYBL families will follow current state rules and guidelines for spectators. Families should sit 6 feet apart from other families and wear a face mask (surgical or cloth recommended).